Tag

Let’s play tag. It’ll be such fun. I’ll chase
you through the garden and tap you
lightly on the back and say: tag, you’re it,
chase me now, try to tag me back,
but not too hard

because it will be my turn again and I’ll tag
you back twice as hard or poke you or
jab you with a pointed stick like
a stubborn mule – move along now – or drive
my knee into your lower spine to see

if that slows you down enough to make
you easy prey, toy with you, circle as you
limp your way toward safety – I’ll let you think
you’re almost there, about to slap your hand
against the tree trunk –

Okay, never mind that stuff about the pointed
stick, let’s just have a friendly game of tag
or twister or king of the mountain
just a little light contact sport to whet our
appetites for the harder play to come.

You’re it.



(Originally appeared in the September 2012 issue of Subliminal Interiors)