Grandmother's House


Always the same tedious comments from
the kiddies: the eyes, the nose,
the great big yellow teeth, always the
temptation to break at last with
the bloody ritualized script.

Oh, honey, it’s just that Gran’s gums
have receded some more, just feel
how loose they are, hush, don’t even
get me started, I’ve been
battling the heartbreak of hypertrichosis
since I was younger than you,

or maybe go the jocular route, holy smokes,
I must’ve put in Grandpa’s old dentures
by mistake, silly old me!

Teeth, teeth, teeth, yes, innocent child,
they’re huge and they’re sharp
and they stink of unflossed flesh, too true,
but you needn’t be fearful, Gran isn’t
hungry, dear, not the least bit peckish.

So lie down here next to me and I’ll
tell you a story about a sweet
young maiden and her loving grandmother
while you run your little fingers up and down
the length of my scarred old belly.


(Originally appeared in Danse Macabre Issue 60)